Pretty much now in the 2013 social media has become a regular part of our day; You eat a meal post it on twitter, post a picture on face book of your ladies night out with your friends or family photos on the beach. This to some can be really innocent, but can it become a negative outlook to some? Imagine you work so hard through all these years of schooling, take on any job you can and work your butt off to get a chance at the job of your dreams. Your interview went great, they loved all the answers and tell us that they need to do background check etc.. Not realizing that part of that background is the company going through online to find all the social media on you. The picture of you and your friends at a birthday party taking that quick pose with all holding up your champagne glasses, or standing on the beach with your family in your bikini could hinder their decision. Have employers gone to far with decided on whether or not you are fit for their company before they hire you ? Is holding a glass of alcohol making them think your a alcoholic? Was the bikini picture showing to much skin for a corporate job?
The world is changing so much and so do we have to adapt with it? Or go with whatever we want to do or post and take the chance? . Not only can it be before you get hired it can be during your employment. I found this article while writing this, interesting after seeing some issues and the results of a company taking it so far the
person lost their job because of it or continue with the job.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-57391779-281/does-your-future-boss-have-a-right-to-see-your-facebook-page/
After viewing the video and the article it brings up does a company have the right to ask for your password to your account at a job interview? I start to think if we don't give it to them we look like we are covering something up , but than if we give it could they take something and turn it into something that isn't? I will be researching the articles and videos that are on the subject and hoping along the way figure out how serious the matter is of "Social Media vs Career"
Leigh Ann Schwartz
This seems like an interesting research inquiry, because there are a lot of implications of social media and employment as you discuss. I have had students write on this issue before, so I know there are plenty of articles, even scholarly ones available through the library databases.
ReplyDeleteP.S. Be sure to look at the how-to documents on D2L so that you can make your link "active" and get rid of the long, messy web address.
I actually attended a lecture on this same subject. The effects of social media on a person's career can be extreme. I do believe, however, there are limitations to what one should and should not be allowed to put on their social media accounts. For example, photos posted of their fun on the weekends shouldn't be looked at as concerning as those photos posted during the work week. Also, if one is bashing their company or other companies on Twitter, that should raise a concern. I enjoy your topic!
ReplyDeleteI believe that it's all about image. The company wants to protect their image by only having employees that project a wholesome on-line image or no image at all. Employees can still do what they want with their free time (within reason, of course)they just need to be smart enough to not plaster it all over the internet.
ReplyDeleteI have heard of employers doing that, going to "snoop" at peoples Facebook. I have even heard of them doing so when an associate calls off for a shift, to see if they are really sick or just hung over. I do not think it is any of there business personally. If we act and dress professional at work then I do not see what the big deal is. We work hard we deserve to play hard sometimes. Of course we do not need to post every picture taken that night for all to see either. I excited to see what research you find.
ReplyDeleteGreat subject, I personally don't think a potential employee should ask you for a password. In other words, what business is it to them? If it's not affecting them as a business or you as an employee, why should they care what you post? It is all about the image, and some businesses see it as a threat to them, will it hurt their company image. If you are a current employee, what you do on the weekends is your business and whoever you choose to tell. I do think some people get a little to comfortable posting certain pictures and status changes, but if that's who you are, why should you change that? I love seeing everyone having fun, if your not posting interesting things, your friends start to worry that your a homebody, nobody. I enjoyed your blog, thanks for such an interesting post!
ReplyDelete